History of Thomas Bond and Partners
Back in 1951 Brenda Hiorns met Thomas Bond as Optics students at Northampton College (later to become The City University), London. They moved to Ipswich after marrying and had their daughter, Jennifer. In 1955 they moved to Nottingham when Tom Bond got the job as Senior Optician at the Eye Hospital, then on the Ropewalk.
‘Thomas Bond and Partners’ was started in 2 rooms above a bank on Front Street, Arnold, in 1957. Brenda Bond worked full-time there and built up the business from scratch. Tom Bond worked at the Eye Hospital in the week, working in their new practice at weekends and evenings.
The practice was expanded in 1959 when they bought the West Bridgford practice and moved to ‘live above the shop’ with Jennifer.
After doing his pre-registration training with the firm Robert Blane became a Partner in the firm with Mr and Mrs Bond in October 1970. The same pattern was followed by Tom Klima, who also became a Partner in October 1980.
In between the practice was further expanded by buying the Hucknall practice from Mr Teed in 1973. Initially the practice was based upstairs, moving to the ground floor in 1984. A practice in Carlton, and then the Bingham the practice were added later.
Then in 1981 Tom and Brenda Bond’s daughter, Jennifer Chilton, joined the Partnership.
Two years later in 1983 Trent Optical, our own workshop, opened above the West Bridgford practice, managed by Tim Sigsworth who still manages it today. In the same year the Arnold practice moved to new, purpose-built premises, shared with a dental practice, on High Street in Arnold.
In 1987 the Netherfield practice was bought from Mr Birchmore, and the partnership then had six practices until in 1991 the Carlton and Netherfield practices were merged, and the Carlton practice closed.
Brenda Bond retired in 1990, and Tom Bond also retired from the Partnership in 1994, but continued to work for the firm into his 80’s.
In 1997 Liz Whitmore joined the Partnership, having previously followed the same pattern as Bob Blane and Tom Klima by doing her pre-registration training with the firm in 1985.
Thomas Bond & Partners celebrated its 50 year anniversary in 2007, with several members of staff having been with the firm for over 25 years .
In 2009 Jen Chilton retired from the Partnership, but continued to work in the firm until 2015, and in 2011 Bob Blane also retired from the Partnership. In 2013 the firm became a Limited Company, with Tom Klima and Liz Whitmore as the two directors. Tom Klima retired in 2017 and is no longer a director.
Tom Bond celebrated his 90th birthday in 2018, with a gathering of staff who had worked with him, many of whom still work with the firm.